About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fear of being Foodless

Yesterday I had a new low on the scale since starting this journey (207.5 for 8 lbs lost in 25 days). It was great to see! The day before I had posted about my indulgence in a dunkin donuts bagel. Now, the bagel itself is not what bothered me. I am not avoiding carbs, or even high calorie treats (although it will be long time until I have another blizzard!). What bothered me is why I bought and ate it. I was driving to a training session at a facility where I had been in the past. I remembered that there wasn't much to offer in terms of lunch in the near vicinity. Somewhere in my head was a nagging fear ... what if I don't eat enough at breakfast, cannot get a decent lunch, and STARVE! Now this fear is beyond ridiculous because 1) there are vending machines, 2) I have a car and can drive minutes away to get something for lunch, and 3) surely I would survive being lunchless, if absolutely necessary, for one day.
A couple of years ago, I bought the book "The Beck Diet Solution". Although it was not my solution, it recommended an interesting experiment where you do not eat between 8 am and 5 pm. While this is not a good daily strategy, it is effective in teaching you that no, you will not die if you miss a meal.
How much overeating have I done because of irrational fear of being hungry in the future? Do you find yourself doing this?

2 comments:

Shane G. said...

wow, one thing I have found out after starting my own blog then browsing others is that many of my bad habits and fears are the same as other overweight people's. I too would eat a huge meal in anticipation of MAYBE not getting enough food later. It is one of my "Shane rationalizations" I am coming to realize. The thing is, don't let it stop your progress! I totally have in the past. However, Sean has come up with a brilliant idea in blogging about your weight loss journey with absolute honesty.

birchgirl said...

Hi Shane, thanks for posting! Cathy