About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's Just Food

Do you have a mantra? I played around with a few ... like "Food is Fuel", and they did not work for me. Probably because I am not using food as fuel yet. Now I am trying out "It's Just Food". This comes in handy when there is junk lying around work (french crullers, I love you), or at a restaurant where I feel like overeating just to shove food in my mouth.
Eventually I want food to be fuel. Allan makes some good points about suspect "diet plans". I could say "I lost 10 lbs eating brownies and drinking wine!" And it would be true. But. 1) I have been building up running at the track. To really make progress I will have to treat food as fuel. And wine, while delicious, is not fuel. 2) My current diet got me from 215 to 205. It will not get me to my goal.
At first (a few weeks ago) 1500 calories seemed unthinkably low to me. But today I could have gotten by on 1200 (I didn't ... I had a snack). Really, it is just food.

4 comments:

Allan said...

As the town pariah, I can only tell you to follow what works for you... All good, and follow your heart... Great job..

Aliana said...

you are doing great! and like you I am trying to look beyond the calorie counting and look at eating GOOD for me food. yes there are a lot of things that I could eat and still lose, but I want to put only food into me that is GOOD for me...

Traci said...

Amen!

Shane G. said...

I do have a trick, not a mantra per se, but it is very helpful. When I think about eating something I shouldn't, I immediately replace the thought of eating with the song "pomp and circumstance" in my head. I play it over and over and even hum or sing it without thinking about it. I have done it so often it is honestly reflex now. I don't have that thought a half second later cause I am hearing the song! May try something like that. It has done wonders for me. I was always able to convince myself I was hungry and that was my answer to that problem about a week in. Get rid of the thought.