About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

What Got You Here

Won't get you there.

I am going to have to radically change my habits to get where I want to go. Blame middle age, being female, whatever. Just kinda sorta watching what I eat is not going to cut it.

So here is my new commitment. I am giving up alcohol at home. We eat out about once a week, and I will have one drink out, but no wine or beer or manhattans at home. All of which I love passionately. If you are not a person who drinks, this may sound like no big deal to you, but for me it is. I was never a heavy drinker, but I have drunk a glass of wine (sometimes 2) every night for many years, so I am a regular drinker, I suppose.
I am not giving it up just because of the calories, but also because it has an adverse affect on my plans for running.

It is just habit. It is just a drink.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm not a drinker, but have thought about having a glass of wine at night since it's supposed to be heart healthy.

Allan said...

Good for you. I a have decided to give up the heroin, and join you in sobriety. Alright, I don't use heroin, maybe I will give up toothpaste.. Hmm,, Keep up the fight.

birchgirl said...

Vicki, I think wine is not unhealthy, but it is not a great tool for weight loss. At least, not for me now.

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

I am a huge beer lover, but I've found I instantly gain 3-4 lbs from one beer. My body just doesn't handle it well. I've decided to wait awhile before I have another one, at least until I get more weight off. So I can understand where you're going with this. ;)

birchgirl said...

AFG, It is 10:30 am and your post made me crave a beer!

Joy said...

Sounds like a great plan. I avoid alcohol because of the calories. Just not worth it!! Keep up the great work and don't ever quit!! Hugs!

Shane G. said...

Hey it is a step. It may take a few more steps to get where you need to be, but you chose to take that step and I bet you choose many more. Great job!