About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What is Hard?

Today is my older son's 11th birthday. He is a great kid! He also has neuro impairment & developmental delay. 11 years ago today he got "stuck", he was deprived of oxygen and had seizures after birth. The day he was born the doctor told us he might not live through the night.
Well he did live, and in many ways has done so well. But his language impairments make every day hard for him : in school, in sports, just in hanging with other kids.
I am not writing this to rehash history, or to spark pity for me or for him. Everyone has their problems.

But, when I look at how he has to struggle every day, I ask ... how hard is it just to eat less? If he has to work so hard every day, just to get by, is it really that hard for me to cut calories, work out, drink more water?

Not that losing weight is easy. If it was easy everyone would do it ... which is what I say about losing weight and about why our systems at work are not perfect. But all things are relative.

1 comment:

Allan said...

You win... You get it.. Very proud to hear from you, listen to your comments and know you.. Not pity, just respect that you get it !!!