About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bon Appetit

This is something I insist on, on my journey to a lower weight and better health. I must enjoy my food.
Now, you may argue "hey, enjoying food is what got us to fat!"
With this I must disagree. When I was shoveling food in my mouth to the point of feeling sick I was NOT enjoying food. I might have been enjoying the feeling of numbness achieved through overeating, but I was not really enjoying the food itself, at least not more than the first one or two bites.

Here are some ways I enjoy my food.

1. I bought colorful plates and cutlery at Target to bring to work. I felt guilt about using disposable, and I really love eating my veggie burger on my red plate, or my cottage cheese out of my nicely shaped bowl.
2. I will NOT eat food I dislike, I don't care how good it is for you. When I go to a restaurant, I will stick to my budget, but not by eating something I consider mediocre.
3. My older son gets on his bus at 6:40 am, and younger son wakes up about 7:20. In that 50 minutes I make time to prepare a healthful, delicious breakfast, and I spend time enjoying eating it.

How about you? What do you do to enjoy your food?

2 comments:

Julie Lost and Found said...

I very much agree with you..especially about the colorful plates!!

It just so happens that a couple of years ago, I was doing Jenny Craig when I went on a vacation to Italy. I bought two beautiful ceramic plates there..smaller ones..just for me.

I no longer follow Jenny Craig, but I *really* enjoy taking the time to prepare myself a nice breakfast or lunch and serve it on my special plates.

There isn't much food I dislike, except cottage cheese, and I just won't eat it. Period. Blech..I don't care how good it is for me! lol

I think it's time for some new plates and cutlery. Christmas Tree Shops near us has some really pretty stuff at great prices!

Shane G. said...

I agree. I have come to learn that an ounce of something tastes just as good at 6 ounces does, but the one ounce is a hell of a lot less calories worth of it. So I savor my bites, and chew my food, enjoying taste and texture and any other quality the food I am eating may have. Especially when I am having my Braums Frozen Yogurt. It is so good! I also will not eat food I dislike for the sake of it being healthy for me.