About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mad about Mashed Potatoes

And I mean "mad" both ways.
1. I am crazy about mashed potatoes. Love 'em!
2. I am mad that I ate them at lunch today.

Normally I don't waste time fuming about a food I ate, it is hardly profitable. However, it truly has been awhile since I ate an off plan food on a whim. Yes, I might have a glass of wine on the weekend, or whatever, but it is not spur of the moment.

Today I went out to lunch with friends (I do that once per week at most). I looked up the nutrition info for Eat N Park before we went, found a meal with protein and a veggie (well iceberg lettuce which tastes like crap, but low cal) that I could eat for 453 calories .. a reasonable amount, since restaurant lunches fill me up until dinner, and I bypass my mid afternoon snack.

Then instead of saying "neither" when asked "fries or mashed", I said "mashed". I know the word "neither", I have used it quite a bit lately in restaurants. Oh, they were good! But not 300 calories worth of good (I looked up the calories after lunch).
No, I won't tear my clothes or gnash my teeth over the incident, but I will remember how rotten I felt about it.

I made a comeback with dinner though.
1 chicken breast with eggplant dip (very low cal, no sugar)
broccoli
1 serving spoon of whole wheat bowties with anchovy sauce

Here's to a mashed potato-free day tomorrow!

4 comments:

Shane G. said...

I know you are aggravated with yourself, but don't let it get to you too bad. I mean you did eat mashed taters, but you also recovered, your conscious decision was better than your subconscious decision, so a tie at best, but I think you actually win.

Christine said...

anchovies and mashed potatoes? Stay away from the scale for at least 3 days...you're going to have some major salt bloat going on with you. It's not real weight though....no REAL damage done. Drink lots of water to wash away the salt!

birchgirl said...

I actually lost.5 lb, no idea why. We eat anchovies once per week, love the little critters.

Michele said...

Just found your blog and I am glad I did! I LOVE mashed potatoes and have been known to eta them as an entire meal! So, I completely understand WHY you did what you did. BUT, the best part is that you did not let the MP derail you. Good for you! I will be checking in some more. Stay strong.. Michele at http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/