About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Scale Talk

So glad to see 194 on the scale today.
I know there is controversy about how often to use a scale.
Even when I don't like the number on it, I am a BIG fan of the scale.
To me, it is an essential tool of accountability. How easy is it to ignore clothes growing tighter? Very easy, in my experience.

I weigh every day, but I don't think that frequency is necessary. I don't get upset if I see a small gain/maintain on a daily basis, because I know the scale fluctuates for all kind of reasons (and I don't post about it, because it really isn't news), but if I don't see what I am looking for for 4,5,6 days, well then I know it is time to re evaluate what I am doing.

If you see a higher number on the scale, and you give up, the problem isn't the scale.
Ok, I know I am getting preachy here, but I really believe this, and I really really want to succeed, and want all of you to succeed too.

3 comments:

Christine said...

I'm a weigh-every-dayer, too.
But...I sort of disagree with the giving up part. I've given up many times in the past when, standing on the scale every morning, the number keeps going up...up....up. Relentlessly, regardless of the effort that I am making. THAT can be very frustrating.

Jo said...

I weigh every day, but I take into consideration what I ate over the past couple of days, and whether it has moved out of my system. Like you, if I'm stuck for 4 or 5 days, I know I need to change something up. It's my way of becoming more familiar with my body.

Glenn, Fat at Fifty-five said...

I get on most days. For me it's easier to stray from the straight and narrow path if I don't.