About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

New low, low stress holiday, the final stretch

I woke up to 181.5 today, which is a new low for me. 1 more pound will get me to 35 lbs lost. Yes, I like the 5 lb increments!

Every year, I simplify the holidays. I have given up a lot of stuff I used to do, including sending Christmas cards. The number of gifts I buy is minimal, as I no longer exchange with friends, or extended family. I still enjoy decorating, and cookie baking. No, I won't eat the cookies, I will bring them to work. The praise for my homemade cookies builds my ego. They are pretty! Also, we have a holiday party in between Christmas and New Year's.

I plan to make the most of the last 3 weeks of 2010 to get as close to 40 lbs lost as possible.

While I know it is important to not medicate stress with food, I also know it is essential to determine what is important to you to reduce stress. I need more "downtime" than most people. I have always been happy just hanging out, reading, thinking. I am a true introvert. With 2 kids and a high stress job, I get very little downtime. But I need to carve out as much as possible for myself. I need it. It is pointless for me to say to myself, "suck it up". If I don't get what I need I cannot achieve my goals, weight loss or other. Sure, there are some things you cannot change, but more things that you can.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Way to go on your weight loss!! Keep it up!!

Jane said...

Good for you with the weight loss and simplifying your life. I am doing the same this year. I am also an introvert (according to my Myers-Briggs type and from what I know of myself) and I need down time, as well. If I don't get it, I can become overwhelmed, and the first thing to go is healthy eating. Take care of yourself.