About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Real Life, and Hot 100

I believe I could have reached a new low today, but instead last night I celebrated with co workers at a dinner at a hibachi restaurant. I had spicy tuna rolls, hibachi shrimp with some of the rice, miso soup and the salad with ginger dressing.
And 3 -- count them, 3! -- Manhattans.

We had so much fun, a lot of laughs, and yes, although celebrating is not all about food, it is a normal part of the human experience to celebrate with food. That is Real Life. I would count a once yearly dinner with friends as a true celebration. If you find yourself celebrating finishing grocery shopping with food, celebrating Friday with food, then you have lost the meaning of celebration, and in all honestly, as a society I feel that we are losing our grip on that concept.

Driving home (this was quite a while after the Manhattans!), I thought about how I was not going to reach my goal of 40 lbs lost by Dec 31, and I honestly felt very satisfied. Will not reaching that goal disrupt my long term weight loss? No way! The only real impact is that I cannot get on my high horse on my blog about losing a pound or two. I am now 20 lbs overweight (technically) and I know I will get into the healthy range sometime in the spring. How much further I go than that is up to me.

So here is my update:
1. Lose 40 lbs by Dec 31. It is looking like 35, although I cannot rule out a bit more.
2. Lose body fat. This is an area where I want to still make the most of 2010, and get more exercise in. December is terribly busy where I work, so I am feeling the time crunch.
3. Eat clean. I did a good job with this this week, albeit with a little more alcohol thrown in than is usual.

Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Yup, you still could have had fun and not eaten and drank so much. You know that though. Don't mess up over the holidays. They are not an excuse! :-)

birchgirl said...

I have 0 regrets for what I ate and drank! That is my point.

Waisting Time said...

Sounds like you had a good week and enjoyed yourself without guilt.

Twix said...

Doing good! :D