About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Definitions

We all have been "defined". Here are some ways I was defined as a kid : smart, quiet, introverted, non athletic.

Well I would like to think I am smart, or at least smart enough! I graduated from an Ivy League school, and have a PhD, for what it is worth. I have a good job, and manage our money well. I have worked damn hard to get the right help for our older son, who has a learning disability.

People at work would laugh at the notion that I am quiet, since I talk so much there, but I am lucky to have found a workplace that brings out the verbose side of me. Truly I like to be quiet, and reflective.

We have ginormous parties at our house, but in general I am introverted. I like my own company and prefer solitary activities.

Non athletic. At 43, this is the label I am rejecting. At first I exercised to lose weight. Now I want to lose more weight to improve my performance in karate, yoga and running.

What "definitions" do YOU want to leave behind?

5 comments:

Shane G. said...

I am pretty much trying to shed the "really fat guy" definition. I was so fat that that was seriously what I was defined as. I am smart, I am funny, I am loving and caring, but I was that really fat guy to most. and I brought that on myself I know. but I am now facing problems with so many people having at least as much as if not more trouble with me not being the really fat guy anymore. I assume that at some point, I am going to become the "guy that lost so much weight!" hopefully anyway!

birchgirl said...

Shane, in general, people are uncomfortable when you change, I think. People close to you, and even mere acquaintances. I think they feel that it calls out what they are NOT doing.

Jo said...

I want to be considered honest, responsible, caring, genuine, loving, giving, attractive, and (oh yes) that old lady who is very athletic. ;-)

Michele said...

It is never to late would be a great one for me. Also that I was a good human being. Didn't know you had a PhD! That is terrific!

Julie said...

I think it is so cool you do Karate. How did you do on your test? I bet you passed with flying leaps and are now onto whatever color belt is next.
Keep it up even though you'r not blogging as much I will be stopping by and checking in on you.
God Bless my friend.