About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fearless

A favorite dinner in our house is ravioli. I have not partaken of it for months, but we serve it once per week because the kids might go nuts without it.
Last night, I was just too tired and stressed to make something different for myself, so I ate the ravioli my husband prepared.

And really it fits into my plan -- 9 pieces of Rosetto cheese ravioli are under 300 calories, low in sugar, and not bad in terms of protein (10 g). The sauce is homemade and reasonable in calories/fat.

Then I realized that I had not been avoiding the ravioli because of their nutritional value, but because they used to send me into a feeding frenzy. I would gorge on ravioli, with Italian bread and butter (a true weakness for me). We didn't have bread last night, because frankly none of us need it, including the kids. And I consider my frenzy days in the past. I ate my 9 ravioli with steamed broccoli. I had no compulsion to reach back into the bowl for more. I actually was a little too full when I was done.

I am not going to eat ravioli every week, but I think I can put my fear of stuffed pasta behind me.

And considering their nutrition, I will not insist on a smiley face from my trainer when I show him my food diary, but I will not accept sad face either. (Yes, I feel like I am about 6 years old).

3 comments:

Shabby Chic Mom- Susie said...

Isn't that a great feeling! Glad you enjoyed it!!

135by2012 said...

Great job on the portion control and not having the need for a feeding frenzy. I stopped serving garlic bread with our pasta meals and I really don't miss it. Even the hubby hasn't asked for it in a while.

Michele said...

Wow! I think that ravioli episode was a very positive indicator as to how far you have come. Good for you!