About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Passion

My family has been practicing Tang Soo Do martial arts for a few years now. My husband is a green belt-orange stripe (level 6), I am orange with a stripe (level 4) and the kids are orange (level 3).

We travel a fair distance to do karate at a studio run by my former co-worker. The reason we do that, even though there are karate studios all around us, is because it is worth it to travel to work out with someone who has a passion for what he does.
He just opened a new dojang, which is beautiful aesthetically, and a pleasure to practice in. It is fantastic to watch a friend realize his dream and passion, and bring that level of excellence to his students/customers.

Every day I remind myself that if I want excellent results, I have to practice excellent behaviors. Mediocre will not yield excellent.

And as I am on the topic of "excellence", I will leave with a quote from a masterpiece of cinema "Be excellent to each other".

5 comments:

Julie said...

WOW, that's so cool. Such a great way to exercise and learn such great things. Good for you!!!
Take care and God Bless!!

Polar's Mom said...

Excellent behaviors-well said...

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Shabby Chic Mom- Susie said...

Way to go on the family exercise. Very cool your old co worker is following his dreams

Michele said...

I love this line:
Every day I remind myself that if I want excellent results, I have to practice excellent behaviors. Mediocre will not yield excellent.
Great attitude!

Sandra said...

Very well put!