About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Shoes

I spent some time cleaning old running shoes out of the closet. A couple of years ago, I was working on building up my running. I got to the point where I could run a full mile (may not sound like much, but for me it was), and then my calves and ankles started to hurt horribly. It was so bad that I could barely walk, let alone run. Thinking it was a shoe problem, I bought one pair after another.

Guess what? It wasn't the shoes. Being over 200 pounds, however, may have been a root cause. I also made the mistake of running every day, which I think was not a good idea. Rest days are essential, especially if you are overweight, and non-fit. Now, no matter what shoes I walk/run in, my legs never hurt. I still am not running full laps, I alternate running a little over 1/2 lap with walking the rest, but I am fairly confident I will get to running full laps soon. Strength training has also had a positive impact keeping my legs in working order.

For $1.99, I purchased Nike+ app for my iPhone. I love this app! Now I can track my mileage and pace easily without distraction, and the Powersong feature is sweet.

No comments: