About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love and Hate

I took a day off today because we had an appointment midday to set up will/guardianship with the lawyer. Other than that meeting I did not do much ... other than nap, paint my toenails, and do Jillian Michaels Shred.
It is surprising to me how much I have come to love exercise. I truly do look forward to it. I love getting outside to the track in spring & summer, and enjoying the fresh air. I love going to the gym for the treadmill, where I can get some great music "me" time with my iPhone and end up a hot, sweaty mess. I really LOVE my new Brazil Butt DVD ... so much fun. I don't know that I "love" the Shred videos but I enjoy the challenge of improving my performance.

Don't get me wrong ... there are many things about weight loss I do not love.
1. Drinking more water. I already posted about this. It is a dumb mental block, but there it is.
2. Drinking less wine. I loves me my wine! It is a truly hateful thing to me to not have a glass of wine nightly. I will not pretend it is no big deal to me, because it actually is.

Surprisingly though, most other healthy habits have not been terribly distressing. I used to think I "had" to have a snack in the evening. Now it never crosses my mind to even consider it.

Losing weight at this point is not easy. I am in my mid 40's. I am overweight, but not by much. Consistently lowering my calories to create weight loss is a challenge. I still hold out hope that I will get to "normal" weight, but overall my life is so much healthier. I am not perfect, but my weight and health are not holding me back.

3 comments:

Munchberry said...

OMG I am so jealous that you like exercise. I like it when I am outside, but I am never having to talk myself into heading home!

It IS hard to lose as you get older. I HATE that!

Joy said...

You will get there! Just stay focused!!

Hey....I'm 50 and I've lost 70 pounds. It can so happen!!! And it might be true that it's harder to lose when you're older, but I'm not going to listen to that.....I making this happen! You can to. I know it!!

Keep focused!

E. Jane said...

I hope that I can get to the point where I look forward to exercise. I'm not there yet, but I am willing. Thanks for sharing.