About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Down for the Count

Here is is, weigh in Friday again. The scale says 171.5, which at least is not the ever present 172.5. I am giving myfitnesspal a rest for a while. The easiest part of weight loss for me is to count. Some people are repelled by counting calories, but I can count all day. I can think of numbers 24/7, keeping charts, graphs, and all sorts of objects that give me a false sense of security. Picture my brain like this : a left brain the size of a boulder, and a right brain the size of a puny pebble. It is a brain that loves numbers.

I am not dismissing the importance of counting for weight loss. We all hear "Calories in, calories out"; "Eat less, move more", until it may make us puke. Yea, duh. And if I want to weigh less, I have to have some idea of my calorie intake. I won't say "it's not just about a number on the scale", because, um, it sort of is, if you are obese or overweight. But at this point I can rattle off the calorie content of every known food, and almost-food, on the planet. I really don't need myfitnesspal for that. I can keep a mental running tally of what I eat over the course of the day.

It is time to bring my poor, shriveled right brain into the action: visualization, meditation,letting go of number obsession.

2 comments:

Tree Peters said...

I think you're wise. You're more than halfway to your goal and you clearly know how to count calories.
I talked to a very good nutritionist recently and she doesn't believe so totally in the calories in and calories out... she describes each person as their own unique chemistry lab. It's about figuring out your own alchemy. I agree with that.
Although for me at this point, the times I track, I lose. It's about staying conscious for me.
Enjoy your visualizations and freedom from numbers!!

Monika www.endyoyo.com said...

Yes, we all are individuals and different methods work for us.

The most difficult thing is to find the right one...

Best regards,
Monika