About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Have Bag of Rice, Will Travel

When it comes to weight loss, I believe 90% of success is in planning. Willpower and motivation will never take you through the long haul. You can't "discipline" yourself into a lasting solution. For me, a key part of meal planning is making sure I have enough portion-controlled healthy food to last me through the workday, so I don't end up buying a wrap from food service, or inhaling a 1/2 pound of cashews. I also like to do things the easy way, and although I have mixed feelings about overusing disposable plastic products, the sad truth is that I find packing plastic containers for work a nuisance. So my go to lunch is now dumping a bag of brown rice into a bowl, and eating it with cottage cheese. I guarantee you this is the WORST looking lunch ever -- a sickening combination of white and beige. But it is "real" food, a decent source of protein, low in sugar, and for some strange reason, I actually like it. I get tired of other protein sources like roast chicken, but I never get tired of cottage cheese.


Carla Birnberg said...


Julie said...

Cooked rice, right? I am working on that planning ahead part. I know menu planning is not my forte but I can do a day at a time with what I have on hand and while shopping I know what I need for the week cuz my ideas don't change much.
Good ideas. I've been trying to catch up so am this far so far.