About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cost Benefit

I post quite a bit on Facebook about working out, fitness and weight loss.  I don't question my commitment to healthier living, but by no means am I gung-ho.  There are plenty of times I feel waffly about working out. 
I am often tempted to cancel my strength workouts in particular. They are damn hard!  This week, after a long drive on Sunday (followed by a short, but relatively fast, run) I was really dragging, and wanted to bag both  my arm workout on Monday and chest/ab workout on Wednesday.  Why didn't I?
1.  I work out with a friend, and cancelling on on a commitment to someone else is harder than cancelling on yourself (not legitimate, but true).
2.  I love running, and while I appreciate the benefits of it -- fat burning, endorphin rush, etc -- I credit weight training with allowing me to really reshape my body.  The scale doesn't always reflect this transformation, but smaller clothes sizes do.
3.  When it comes right down to it, I don't spend *that* much time on working out.  My average is about 2 hours per week for strength, 3 hours for running, and then some weeks I toss in a bike ride, karate, and/or yoga (all of which are FUN).  I target 2 non-consecutive rest days per week.

Is transforming your body, and feeling fantastic in every way, worth 2 hours per week of pushing yourself?
I can't imagine saying "no."  I can't imagine saying anything but HELL YEAH.  At some point I'd like to add a third strength workout per week, but even if I never do, the benefits to my current routine are amazing. 

This is my Arm workout (thanks to my friend Cathy for documenting).   Most of the moves include both weight and cardio -- the arm moves are done concurrently with squats or lunges. I sometimes do a bit more and it usually takes about 60-70 minutes.  By the end of it I am a sweaty, shaky mess.

Cost = Low
Benefits = Astronomically High


No comments: