About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Go Your Own Way

Today I weighed in at 160, 55 pounds lost total.  My size 8 jeans are a little loose on me, and I am dead certain I will reach my goal of 155 by the end of our company weight loss contest (early July).  I get compliments, and compliments are nice, but nothing compared to this -- every day I look in the mirror and like what I see.  Truthfully I felt the same way 20 pounds heavier, because that feeling comes from the inside, not the outside. If other people like the way I  look, that's great.  If they don't, well ...s'es each, s'es own.

There are a thousand ways to lose weight, in terms of food and fitness habits.  Here are some of my habits, and if you want to lose weight you don't have to follow any of them.

I use myfitnesspal to track calories.  You don't have to track calories (although if you can't figure out why you aren't losing weight, tracking your food intake, at least for  awhile, is a great practice).

I don't eat pasta, bread or bananas.  They are very carb heavy and just not worth it to me, nutrition-wise.  I eat pizza on Fridays, because it is freakin' delicious.

I like to weigh daily.  The number on a scale never upsets me and I like to know where I am.  You don't have to weigh every day or every week, if it makes you anxious.

I treat myself daily with my favorites.  I drink wine, almost every day. I eat an Oreo almost every day.  I enjoy them, and I see no reason to give them up.

I eat meat and cheese.  I don't know if I want to live in a world without cheese.

I don't drink a lot of water.  I know I *should* but honestly at this point I simply don't care to improve that habit.

I workout a lot because I love it and it makes me feel fantastic, physically and mentally.  If you really hate exercise, you don't need to do any to lose weight.  However, it is probably worth it to try out a few activities to find one you like, because the human body was designed to move.

I am a numbers-oriented person. I love lists, spreadsheets, and graphs.  I use those tools to manage my weight loss initiative.  If you hate them, don't use them.

There is only one thing you *need* to do to change your outside, and that is change your behavior by changing your inside.  What is inside might surprise you.

Me, today.




No comments: