About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Six years ago I decided (age) 42 would be my magic number. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a LONG time. It was a BIG number, it was a SCARY number, but mostly I knew I had to own that number. I lost 40 pounds, leaving the obese category behind. In 2014 I committed myself to working out HARD and a low sugar diet, losing more weight and gaining nice definition. Then life happened, and I lost momentum, gaining some weight back. My goals now are different, and include completing my first ever marathon at age 48. GULP! You can read about the next part of my journey here.

Friday, June 20, 2014

Natural Timing

I am horrible at establishing regular practices.  I refuse to commit to a schedule for anything, except where absolutely necessary.  God help the person that tells me I "have" to do something.  I am not stubborn exactly, but a born contrarian.

We are pressured to live by "clock time", which is nothing but make-believe.  I hate clock time, with a passion.  But I fell in love with the concept of "Sojong" when I read about it in  "Living Beautifully," by Pema Chodron.  Sojong is a Buddhist practice of confession, traditionally practiced by Buddhist monks, and it is governed by natural time -- taking place twice a month, during the new and full moon.  Pema Chodron explains how Sojong can be adapted for the layperson, as a practice of self inventory, a practice of reviewing the previous two weeks -- not as an opportunity for self criticism but as an honest self assessment.

For me the question always is "How did I meet each day?"  When did I open myself to the moment?  When did I shut down?  I am not judging myself on much I weighed, or how many miles I ran, or if I completed tasks at work, or if I impressed other people, or if I was a "good mom", "good friend", "good whatever." Did I stay in the moment, or did I check out?  I don't want to check out.  Sometimes I write these thoughts in my journal, sometimes not, but I find that I come to the practice of setting intentions and self assessment more effortlessly when it is line with Nature's schedule, not the human calendar.

It's not that I think there is anything mystical or magical about the Full Moon, but witnessing the cyclical changes of nature, from the tiny to the massive, is very powerful.  Why would you want to be anything but tuned in to the unfolding universe around you?

Happy Summer Solstice.

3 comments:

Jae said...

Good stuff! Glad to have found your blog :)

Julie said...

Good morning Cathy. I finally took the time to just sit and read your blog posts. It's been awhile and I do love your writings. You are in tune with your body and mind and that is awesome. Most days I am fighting mine and can't find peace but there will be that day I will.
Take care and have a blessed and awesome day!

Jae said...

I mentioned you in today's post :) Thank you for your vulnerability, transparency, and honesty. www.founditatthemarathon.blogspot.com